At exlabesa, we pride ourselves on our aluminium expertise. We have over five decades of experience in the aluminium glazing industry and during this time have developed some of the world’s leading aluminium glazing products. Whether you’re new to the world of aluminium or you’re more familiar with using aluminium windows and doors as a fabricator or installer, here are 20 lesser-known facts about aluminium compiled by the exlabesa technical team.
1. Around 75% of the aluminium produced in the world is still being used.
2. Aluminium roofs reflect around 95% of solar energy.
3. Aluminium products can be recycled using only 5% of the energy used to create the original aluminium.
4. Aluminium is 100% recyclable.
5. The carbon footprint of the aluminium industry has decreased by around 40% since 1995.
6. Bauxite ore is the world’s primary source of aluminium and is easily extracted with minimal environmental impact.
7. Aluminium is the most abundant metal found in the Earth’s crust.
The outstanding sustainability of aluminium makes it a great choice for fabricating window systems. By switching from uPVC or timber to aluminium, you are helping to create a more sustainable society while offering your customers an excellent range of window and door systems.
8. Aluminium will never rust.
9. Aluminium is always used as an alloy.
10. Aluminium is a soft and malleable material making it perfect for fabrication.
11. When alloyed with copper, silicon, magnesium or manganese, aluminium is extremely lightweight yet strong.
12. The melting point of aluminium is 660.3 °C.
13. Aluminium is a good conductor of electricity.
14. Aluminum windows and doors provide outstanding thermal performance levels.
Aluminium’s resistance to rust and corrosion makes it the perfect material for use in window and door fabrication. It is particularly resistant to weathering and is often specified for use in coastal properties where the salty air can easily damage other materials. Aluminium’s malleability allows for a huge amount of flexibility in terms of window shape customisation while its inherent strength allows for larger glazed areas which can be easily supported with slimline aluminium frames.
15. Aluminium was discovered in 1825 by Hans Oersted.
16. Aluminium can be combined with 270 different minerals.
17. Aluminium is completely non-toxic to humans.
18. Pure aluminium is almost never found in the natural environment.
19. In the 19th century aluminium was considered to be a more precious material than gold and silver.
20. Americans and Canadians spell and pronounce the word ‘aluminum’. The rest of the world say ‘aluminium’. Which is correct? According to many leading experts, both terms are acceptable.
As you can see, aluminium is a great material which looks set to play an important role in the future of global development. To find out more about working with exlabesa as your dedicated aluminium system supplier call 01302 762 500 or contact us online.